A complete foodie that I am, I have tried most restaurants in Bombay along with N. He's a bigger foodie than me, and I owe all my food gyan to him. This time around Sushi and I visited this small time dhaba kind of a resutaurant called Pancham Puri right outside the V.T. (Victoria Terminus) station.
Awesome food and really cheap. Now if you are one of those hygiene conscious people, or prissy kinds wanting clean tissues and finger bowls and queen size washrooms or even a table entirely for your ownself, fuhget it! Don't even think about visitng the place. Be prepared to share a table with people you just dont know coz the place is friggin crowded with all sorts of people ~ from workers to families. The place looks dingy, and has got absolutely no aesthetics. But I shall bet all my money on the awesome food they serve here. You get a special thali for 16 rs. Yes! Replete with puris, 4 kinds of dals, sabzi, raita, and a rice-plate. And if you wanna have lassi you need to pay 5 rs. more.
The 4 dals that they serve are north-indian, south-indian (rasam), west-indian (maharashtrian) and another west-indian variety (the gujrati kadi). The puris are masala ones. It's a favorite hub for the non-locals, you can see north-indian people flocking the place, as the food has a north indian touch to it and it tastes like it's some home-made food.
The place might seem un-hygienic but the kitchen is visible from the front end and it's as clean as a restaurant kitchen can get! And since the place is eternally crowded, rest assured that you shall get fresh food all the time :D
Rating :
food : 4.5/5.0
ambience : 3.0/5.0 coz it works for me - u can observe people u dunno, up close which is my fav killtime..for others (whiny, fussy, prudish junta ;) 1.0/5.0 service : 5.0/5.0 - extremely prompt
We shared a thali - sushi and I and for the finale part had a glass full of lassi each. After having done that we headed to the paanwallah's right outside pancham puri.
The paanwaala graciously flashes his betel-stained teeth in a smile here. No we are not here for marlboro lites, we are here to have our own share of betel-free pan. And I changed the tense of my post - these grammatical mistakes of mine are so endearing..ya right!
Ok now a serious confession. I started out to write about the kalaghoda festival that I had gone to, and I got so involved with writing about our lunch before heading to the festival that I realised I've lost the point. So I make this digression of mine a post, and delete all the introduction and title and shall write about the festival some other time.
Have a yum wk'end!
4 comments:
Delicious!!
:)
hmm somehow i missed this 'pancham puri'...where on earth (in mumbai i mean)is it? and how come ive never spotted it??? :o
pri ~ it's not at all a well known place so dont be surprised..it's a discovery of sorts..a friend went there once and recommended :)
It is outside the v.t. station. As soon as u r outta the station, walk in the direction of Fort (with McDonalds on your right) and take the very first left and walk straight. It's right there on the right hand side.
Post a Comment