Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Books Galore, Udipi, Koolar & Co.


So as decided, N & I went shopping for books to our fav place. Well favorite not coz of the cheap books that you get but for the amazing south indian restaurants around and the coffee smell that wafts and keeps haunting you, wherever you go. Yes, am talking of the king circle. You have many south-indians staying in and around this place so that explains the typical restaurants and the coffee bean smell. Yum!

The books are set out on the pavements. Initially I was not allowed to photograph the stuff but I managed to convinve the guys that I was harmless. You get good books, mostly bestsellers/classics/comics/educational stuff for real cheap, of'course you needta have excellent, well polished bargaining skills.

Books. I assume this must be the man;s regular reading-place after his afternoon siesta and some kaapi..I dared not disturb him..




More books..



And more books..




After having shopped - since I had already spent huge bucks on buying books I bought myself a coupla unread Archie comics and N bought some novels - we thought of heading some place to eat. It's not that we were hungry, but visiting king circle and not having some south-indian delicacies woulda been a crime. There is a variety of restaurants you can pick from - you have madras cafe, mysore cafe and udipi. Udipi is MY favorite!



Udipi



An interesting menu..



From the usual dosas, idlis, medu wada to their special rice plate, rice with sambhar/rasam and the typical south indian pickles and papads, you get it all. Authentic south indian food - no adulteration - no chinese dosa, no thai dosa no mish-mash of cuisines.
Review time :
food : 5.0/5.0 - ambience : 4.0/5.0 - budget : 120 bucks for two people.

Personal fav: The rasam and the filter coffee they serve here is to die for!

I had my college in this very area and so we visited our college too. No college pictures will be posted, I dont wish to be stalked. (Assuming that you are interested in stalking me)

Review time yet again : Koolar And Co.



This is an Iranian cafe that's been there ever since my parents and I remember. My parents - both of 'em- had their colleges in this area too :) Forgive the picture quality, I was in a cab when I took it. Oh wait, the cab was at a signal when I took it! My photopgraphy has to improve, got a long way to go!

Basically a nice place to hang out at. What I enjoy the most about this place is it;s tea. Normal teas as well as the iced teas. They supposedly serve excellent kheema-pav (red meat+bread) but since I don't eat red meat I don't really have a say. The ambience is perfect for hanging out with friends over some tea and biscuits.

So that was my day - a perfect day with a not-so-perfect and a special man (oh I added the special considering that he might read the post ;)

14 comments:

bindhiya said...

Girl, you making me more home sick!!!
♥
bindhiya

~ ॐ ~ said...

Excellent fotos and write up..

Delhi also has a wonderful patri bookmarket which is there every sunday in old Delhi...

claytonia vices said...

You had asked me what software I use for my images... my images look different because they are shot in RAW format with a digital SLR. I use GIMP 2.0 (open source) to resize the snaps to uploadable sizes...

crasiezt said...

Kheema pav!!Sssssslurp!
Nice post...what a way to spend time!!Hope you have many more such days:-)

Anonymous said...

Nice Post. Nowdays you can see thse vendors seeling pirated n secondhand books everywhere... Hehe.. though true books lovers should buy original and support the author.. but when ur on a shostring student budget like me ..its quite tempting...

cheerz

Satanic Angel said...

bindhiya ~ come over, and invite me to ur plc in kerala :)

prashant ~ thank u :)..yea ive been to delhi once but hardly spent much time there..hope to do tat someday soon

claytonia ~ thanks for sharing the tip, though i hardly understood the tech. jargon :D

crasiezt ~ i hope so too :)

samby ~ u r so right in saying tat..but the temptation is killing plus the books by foreign authors are ridiculously priced ya..

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

waow!
u seem to b havin fun fun n more fun!!
does sound like a perfect day!!
my fav line: a perfect day with a not-so-perfect and a special man...dunno y but loved it!! :)

Solitaire said...

Very nice.
If I had been around those books, I would have bought them all!!

Pri said...

the thing which tempt me most in the post were the books...though im sure the coffee would have been tough competition, had i actually been there :D

radiohead said...

hanging out with books .. is one of the better ways of spending the day ..and coffee always helps ;)

cheers

Satanic Angel said...

gunj ~ i knoww!'twas fun.

solitaire ~ you definitely wud have, most of 'em are bestsellers :)

pri ~ if u r frm bombay, as i guess u are, u sure must have visited the place :)

anuj ~ oh yes, the smell is intoxicating!

Abha said...

ohh i just loved reading this post of yours....my college is in da same area...and i can completely relate to wat you are saying...those books have made me stop along da pavements even in my haste...and da intoxication Mysore coffee...(though i dont drink coffee anymore) its an inescapable feeling!! and i miss my camera..booohooo!

Abha said...

and udipi is in my try list now..

Satanic Angel said...

abha ~ betcha! oh n yes u shud def try udipi..though underrated as compared to madras cafe, it rocks!