Monday, February 4, 2008

I was watching this movie on HBO yesterday - Sleepless in Seattle. I have seen it a coupla times before, albeit in bits and pieces. So yesterday I watched the whole of it. I have this immense capacity to watch sappy old romcoms over and over again a zillion times. You can't really slot me as a romantic fool, but I love watching non-sensical romantic stuff on tv. I love it coz it's kinda surreal. I really want to believe in the somewhere-someone-is-made-for-u funda, but my grey matter - though under developed- doesn't allow me to.




I wish I was born in an era when people had not much to do, when people didn't really bother where their careers went, when the term career in most probablities didn't even exist! Back then, people had a lot of time and the willingness to invest quite a lot in their love lives. There were Romeos and there were Juliets. I want to experience what it's like to be hopelessly in love, where you put your love on a pedestal and everything else takes a backseat. I want to experience the madness, the insanity of being in love.

Is it that I need to be lucky enough to meet my soulmate-the one who is made-for-me-the one God has sent for me, or have I already met him?






Can it really happen given today's world scenario? Today everything is a matter of convenience. The world has become too pragmatic and I hate to be not only a part of it, but party to it. I have never experienced "the magic" as they say in anyone's touch. I have never sensed the yes-he's-The-One kinda feeling by just looking at some random guy, and I just can't imagine that something like love-at-1st-sight can exist. Though I want these things to happen to me, I wonder whether they really exist.

It's not that am not in a happy place in my love life right now. I have been blessed to fall in love with my best guy friend. But I have never witnessed sparks flying between us!

They don't make any sense. These romcoms. They just make fools out of wannabe romantic fools like me.

As I write this the guitar piece played and recorded by my guy for my birthday is being played on my windows media player. I rest my case.

OK to sign off, I list my all time fav romcoms.

1. Ghost (Patrick Swayze is mmmmmmm) - and the ending where in demi moore watches patrick swayze go away is completely tear jerking. I love this movie so much.

2. Serendipity


3. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge


4. Alex & Emma


5. When Harry met Sally


6. Jerry Maguire


7. Notting Hill


8. 50 First Dates



P.S. Happy Birthday To Me!




P.P.S. On giving a title to this post it gives me an error saying " URL contains illegal characters" Dont these jerks know how law abiding I am? Illegal my a$$.

21 comments:

Electric Shaman said...

You Should probably add Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.. watch them if you havent .. they are wonderful

Reeta Skeeter said...

BTW i loveeeeeee your blog header :P

That was it... said...

I loved Serendipity....crazy but nice! :-)

Satanic Angel said...

@shaman - shud watch it sometime..

@skeeta - thankyu!

@tatwasit - i swear it..

Gonecase aka. Shutter Singh said...

Romcoms, not my genre but I can watch any movie (Psst. I've seen Darling, RGV ki Aag, Go, etc etc)! Tempting header :D
Thanks for dropping by, nice place you've got here.

And

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, have fun !

Satanic Angel said...

@GC - u gotta be kidding me!u sure have some endurance ;) thanks for the wishes!

Piercing The Veil said...

i like pretty woman

Fighter Jet said...

:) poor woman :((

by the way have u watched SADMA??

deepthi vinod said...

yo u n me share the same birthday :)...commin to romcom's hon they are made that way to make people watch them over and over and say aww wish my life was like tat...infact the ones who write (like us the script writers) make them out of their imagination (duh) for we too want a world like that...

Satanic Angel said...

@fighter jet - yes i have..but I can't really digest the concept somehow..i cried like a fool nevertheless during the ending..

@tachi - happy birthday!
u guys better add some disclaimer to such scripts..i hate being fooled :(

Mindinamaze said...

from one romcom fool to another:
pretty similar list. SERENDIPITY alomst tops it.
Would add a few more titles:
1. NOTTING HILL
2. WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING
3. TITANIC
4. GONE WITH THE WIND
5. PRETTY WOMAN (RG & JR WERE AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING HERE)
6. LOVE STORY (MOTHER OF ALL ROMCOMS AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED)

Satanic Angel said...

@mindinmaze ~ Love Story (the one by erich segal) is the best book I've ever read. I've gifted it to almost every friend I have.
Gone With The Wind..read it thrice already..that should explain how much I loved it..the characterization is so detailed & I am in love with Butler =) seen the movie once.
Am sure you'd agree, the book is far better than the movie.

Satanic Angel said...

@piercing ~ I haven't watched pretty woman yet :( I should watch it sometime soon =)

Mindinamaze said...

@elusive - It is a general law. The book is always much much better than the movie.

Ankur Arora said...

Serendipity is the epitome of the impossible. I say this even when I strongly believe that anything is possible, and maybe that's why I liked the movie too! :)
One of my very close friends experienced that feeling of natural thrust for somebody, even when they belonged to contrasting worlds, quite literally; so I think I have a reason to believe that it happens, but at the same time, I think it doesn't happen for everybody, or maybe when it does, our sanity tries to abandon that thought. Millions of people have tried to frame what love is, and millions are still doing it, but this 4-letter word is like that geometry problem, which on the face of it, looks like the easiest to solve, but the deeper you delve into it, the more complicated it becomes! :)

Ankur Arora said...

And Happy Birthday! Mine's on 3rd Feb! :)
Hope you had a good one.

Satanic Angel said...

ankur,
I know, i hope i crack the problem ;)..thanks for the budday wishes..wish ya the same =)

Rashmi said...

My all time favourite is Uve got mail...

and i agree with ur 'magic' statement. Does such a thing even exist??

Rashmi said...

My all time favourite is Uve got mail...

and i agree with ur 'magic' statement. Does such a thing even exist??

Rashmi said...

My all time favourite is Uve got mail...

and i agree with ur 'magic' statement. Does such a thing even exist??

Satanic Angel said...

rashmi ~ yep thats a nice movie..much recently i saw come september which was a cute movie..more like the bollywood style romance.