For the time being a picture of the traditional chakki used in villages - for starters, is a kind of a grinding machine - you grind the grains to get the flour which help you make the dough for rotis (pancakes of sorts). The yellow stuff that you see on it is turmeric. The turmeric is put after the machine is worshipped as it is considered to be a symbol of food and prosperity. (That's MY interpretation).
You rotate the rod like handle that you see in the picture above to grind the grains. I requested the owners of the machine to let me use it and they gracefully let me. Oh yes, and you are supposed to sing some song as you rotate it. And preferably two people use it simultaneously so that the work gets done faster. Pashti & I really enjoyed grinding our share of grains on it.
They don't really use this anymore. Except for some really remote far-away villages where electricity is a major issue.
Family reunions are always fun. We had one after the wedding. But I always miss my grandparents. I have never experienced what it is like to have a grandmother telling you all sorts of stories to bed. Ok I will be worng to say that, my granma did tell me stories back then, but I was too young to remember anything now. I have a very blurred picture of hers painted on my mind, I wish the picture was different with more bold and stronger hues. I am reading this book of short stories by Sudha Murthy. In that she writes about her own grandmother, and how she taught her grandmother to read and write.
I shall write whatever I remember of my grandma in some other post. A post that shall be dedicated to her. Miss yu maa.
P.S. The clumsy me lost ONLY 3 tooth-brushes through this trip. I am on my path of improvement alright =)
10 comments:
dat sounds fun!!
n d picha is great...suits ur title!!
:-) Waiting for the pictures...
hello elusive ... welcome back ....
interesting indian artifact...
how i wish i had my grand ma too to tell me stories she died when I was 15
well hope to see you around
I have seen this kind of grinder back in my moms native place and I have used it couple of times as well. Its real fun but it is bit tiring. We used it to grind dal especially moong for making something close to moong ka bhajji.
You are TAGGED ...chalo isi bahane mera bhi ek post bad gaya ...
@gunj ~ thanku :)
@tatwasit ~ oh i do hope i muster some courage to post 'em here..not too sure :(
@piercing ~ yea and the way it works is really interesting..thanks for visitng :)
@badshah ~ oh u mean pakoras?
thats our life...a grind..
@divya ~ u bet..welcome to my page =)
oh yaa puri zindagi chakki peesing peesing peesing ;p
pri ~ heheh, haan yaar.
Post a Comment